Port of Malé, Maldives
- Latitude: 04º 10΄.5 N
- Longitude: 073º 30΄.5 E
- UNCTAD Code: MVMLE
- Time Zone: GMT +5
- Maximum Draft 9.5 M
- Break bulk Facilities
- Liquid Facilities
- Passenger Facilities
- Container Facilities
- Gas Facilities
- Multipurpose Facilities
- Dry Bulk Facilities
- RoRo Facilities
Ports Limited Address
Maldives Port Limited
Bodhuthakurufaanu Magu, Maafannu
Malé 20–02, Maldives
Tel: +960 332 9339, Fax: +960 332 5293
Capital of Maldives (MALÉ)
Latitude: 04º 10’.5 N
Longitude: 73º 30’.5 E.
The new harbour area in the extreme NW of Malé, is to be used for foreign trade vessel to load and unload cargo vessel with draft 9.5 meters and LOA 150 meters can berth at Northern pier.( Magathufalan) The harbour area incorporates a marina. The average ship turn around is 88.32 hours.
Traffic figures: Approx 440 vessels and 821,876t of cargo plus 16,169teu are handled annually. The port handles approx 2,251t of cargo a day.
The Maldives group of islands extends in a N/S direction from 00º 41’.48 S to approx Lat 08º 00’N, to the SW of the Indian subcontinent. Malé, the principal port, is centrally situated on the E side of the group.
At the Lighterage wharf, max LOA 60m and max draft 3.0m. Max size at Northern pier.(Magathufalan) LOA 150m and max draft 9.5m. At anchorage 25m draft vessels can be accepted.
Load Line Zone
E T A
ETA must be sent 48 hours and subsequently 24 prior to arrival to the Port Authority / Coast Guard / Customs / Port Health Officials / and Immigration.
The following particulars shall be notified to concerned authorities:
- Name of the Vessel
- Name of the Master and Nationality
- Name of the Local Agent
- Name of the Ship Owner
- Last port and next port of Call
- Type of Vessel
- Port of Registry and Number
- DWT / GT / NRT / Light Displacement
- LOA and maximum draught
- Call Sign
- Details of Dangerous Cargo for Male
- Cargo for discharge
- Air draught
- Crew : 6 sets
- Passengers : 6 sets
- Stowaway : 2
- Tobacco / sprits / personal effects : 2
- Stores : 1
- Arms and ammunition / Narcotics : 1
- Health documents or certificate : 1
- Certificate of Deratting : 1
- Ship’s certificates (original) : For Port State Survey
- Officers / crew competency certificates (original) : For Port State Survey
- Cargo gear certificates : Valid
- Bills of landing : 2 sets
- Manifest (freighted) : 4 sets
- Un – Manifested cargo list : 4 sets
- AUTHORITY VHF Ch TEL FAX EMAIL/TELEX
- Pilot Station 10 328624 328624 Nil
- Pilot Vessel 10 Nil Nil Nil
- Pilot 10 775397 Nil Nil
- Port Authority 11 329339 32325293 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Coastguard 16 3255981 323981 Nil
- Harbour Master 771966 327883 Nil
- Tugs 11 Nil Nil Nil
- Terminal Operators 11 Nil Nil Nil
- Medical facilities are available.
- Port Health clearance by radio not applicable.
- Any sick person or dead body on board should be notified to Port Health by cable, 24 hours in advance.
- Yellow fever vaccination certificate is required only if the vessel has called at yellow fever area during last 30 days.
- Permission to be obtained to bring animals including pets with valid health certificates.
- Vessel entering Maldivian ports must display international quarantine signal till health formalities are completed by port health officer.
Customs and Immigration
At presently Maldives Customs Services building is located within Malé Commercial Harbour premises. The following is a notification of Maldives Customs Services to a vessels calling at Malé Commercial Harbour.
- All ships are requested to submit a port clearance, cargo manifest, passenger and crew list and where available any other relevant documents.
- Departure time should be notified and port clearance to be obtained.
- All visitors, officers, crew and passengers of ships are requested to use the Maé Commercial Harbour jetty when arriving or leaving Malé.
- Foreigners are not allowed to land at Malé without permission, at night after 10.00 pm.
- Foreigners landed at Malé should go on board before 10.00 pm.
Prohibited imports into Maldives.
- Prohibited items of imports (except for use of the state).
- Any type of gun powder
- Weapons of war
- Opium, Ganja, Cocaine, and any other items, which could be used as an intoxicant
Articles carried by foreigner distinguished personnel signifying their ranks, titles or honors and articles carried in connection with such rank. Tittles or honors by those who accompany such distinguished guests shall be exception to this article.
Prohibited items of import without a permit from the government-concerned ministry (except for the use of the state).
- All forms of poisons and sulphuric acid
- Dangerous animals.
- Alcoholic drinks
- Pig s or pork
- Statues (used for worship)
Totally prohibited items if imports into Maldives.
- Nude or pornographic material.
In addition to items stipulated in this bill, the principal collector of Customs shall withhold such items, the import of which in his opinion shall be prohibited and bring the matter to the notice of Ministry of Trade and Industries. The final settlement will be in accordance with the decision of that Ministry
Vessels calling Maldivian Ports should sent ETA message 48 hours or 24 hours in advance as per Port Circular MPA-H-99-02. Vessels approaching Malé Port should contact Harbour Control on VHF channel 10, 02 hours before arrival pilot boarding ground.
Only International code of signals flags is used.
Notice of Readiness (NOR)
Vessels should report Maldives Ports Authority as soon as they receive inward clearance from Customs /Immigration and Port Health.
All agents nominated must be approved by Ministry of Trade and Industry / Customs and Maldives Ports Authority.
There are no traffic separation schemes. Pilot embarking and disembarking position LAT 04º 10’.00 N. LONG 073º 32’.00E
Gaadhoo koa channel buoys and beacons are fitted .
- Beacon in position Lat.04 11.28 N Long. 073 31.48 E Fl (G) 4s 3M
- Beacon in position Lat.04 10.50 N Long. 073 31.70 E Fl (G) 4s 3M
- Beacon in position Lat.04 11.05 N Long. 073 31.15 E Fl (R) 4s 3M
- Buoy in position Lat.04 10.20 N Long. 073 31.35 E Fl ( R ) 4s 3M
Lat 04º 10’.9N ; Long 073º 30’.4E
Lat 04º 12’.6N ; Long 073º 30’.4E
Lat 04º 10’.7N ; Long 073º 28’.8E
Lat 04º 12’.6N ; Long 073º 28’.8E
Pilot compulsory for all vessels above 100GT engaged in foreign trade.
Maldives Ports Limited.
Tel: 329339 (PABX) Fax: 325293, 328624
VHF Channel: 10
Position of Pilot boarding ground Lat 04º 10’. 00 N, Long 073º 32’. 00 E. In all weather conditions by Pilot Boat only.
Hours of services : – 0600 hours to 2300 hours for arrival vessel. 24 hours of service for departure vessels.
Safe anchorage with good holding ground. Vessels discharging and loading cargo at Malé, are requested to anchor inside the working anchorage.
Cargo Working Anchorage
A) LAT. 04 11.70 N LONG. 073 29.7O E
B) LAT. 04 10.90 N LONG. 073 29.70 E
C) LAT. 04 10.90 N LONG. 073 30.45 E
D) LAT. 04 11.70 N LONG. 073 30.45 E
A) LAT. 04 11.70 N LONG 073 28.80 E
B) LAT. 04 10.70 N LONG 073 28.80 E
C) LAT. 04 10.70 N LONG. 073 29.70 E
D) LAT. 04 11.70 N LONG 073 29.70 E
A) LAT. 04 12.10 N LONG 073 28.80 E
B) LAT. 04 11.70 N LONG 073 28.80 E
C) LAT. 04 11.70 N LONG 073 29.70 E
D) LAT. 04 12.10 N LONG 073 29.70 E
Tanker Anchorage East
A) LAT. 04 12.10 N LONG 073 29.70 E
B) LAT. 04 11.70 N LONG 073 29.70 E
C) LAT. 04 11.70 N LONG 073 30.45 E
D) LAT. 04 12.10 N LONG 073 30.45 E
Tanker Anchorage West
A) LAT. 04 12.50 N LONG 073 28.80 E
B) LAT. 04 12.10 N LONG 073 28.80 E
C) LAT. 04 12.10 N LONG 073 29.70 E
D) LAT. 04 12.50 N LONG 073 29.70 E
Ship’s Of War And Troop Ships
A) LAT. 04º 11’.70 N LONG 073º 30’.70 E
B) LAT. 04º 11’.40 N LONG 073º 30’.70 E
C) LAT. 04º 11’.40 N LONG 073º 31’.00 E
D) LAT. 04º 11’.70 N LONG 073º 31’.00 E
Tidal Range and Flow
Tide range over Malé and near by Islands mean spring range about 0.7m, mean near range about 0.3m.
Charts and Publications:
- BA. Chart 1013 and 3323.
- Pilot book west coast of India.
- List of Lights Vol. F
- List of admiralty radio signal vol. VI part 2
Tugs compulsory while berthing and un-berthing,
Tugs available are:
- Veeru BP 08 tons
- Ox BP 04 tons
- Veeru 2 BP 12 tons
Ships berthing at northern pier (Magathufaalan) three line FWD and AFT two spring. FWD and AFT, Rat Guards to be fitted in each line.
1026 through out the year
From 2300 hours to 0600 hours vessel’s are not allowed to enter Malé Port.
Coast Guard maintains watch on channel 16, 24 hours. Coast Guard will board with Pilot for security clearance.
Northeast monsoon (December – Mid April)
Generally, fine weather with surface winds of northeasterly with speed of 9 knots. Seas are generally slight.
Southwest monsoon (May – November)
Rain occurs over the country during active monsoon period. Surface wind varies between southwest and northwesterly with an average speed of 11 – 15 knots per hour. In May to October wind may gusts vary between 35 – 45 knots and the sea is generally moderate and can be very rough at times.
Tide range over Malé and nearby Islands is about 0.7m mean spring. Mean neap range is about 0.3 m.
Current in Gaadhoo Koa the streams from vaadhoo kandu set across this opening and during the NE monsoon a component of the current sets NW through the entrance channel which directs the vessel towards the reef, fringing the east side of the Malé. With the entrance, the flow turns west between Malé and Funadhoo. Strong currents have been reported during the NE monsoon within Malé Harbour.
During the SW monsoon, a component of the current enters Malé lagoon through Giraavaru Irumathee Kandu six (6) miles West of Malé. It flows out principally through the channel East of Viligili and between Malé and Funadhoo into Waadhoo Kandu.
Berths and Cargo
Magathufaalan ( Northern pier ), Length 101.3 meters and Depth 10.2 meters. Lighterage berth west, Depth 3.5 meters. Lighterage berth East, Depth 3.5 meters.
All types of cargo handled at berth except dry bulk cargo, liquefied Petroleum and Gases. Dock densities 1026 maximum temperature 33º C.
- 09 Hatch barge 150 tons
- 02 Hatch barge 200 tons
- 03 Flat top 300 tons
Gangway watches are to maintain with ship crew. Coast Guard carries out search and Rescue operations. Fire Services: National Security fire brigade.
Ballast and Slops
Dirty ballast and slops are not allowed to discharge.
Maintenance repairs can be done by local workshops.
Bunkers, Water and Stores
Fresh water available at berth, any amount can supply through pipeline. Local agents can supply fresh water at anchorage by barges.
Local agents can supply ship stores or ship crew can buy ship store and provisions. All items should be passed through Customs gate.
Medical facilities are available.
Malé International airport 1 kilometer from Malé.
Air Alfa, Srilankan Airlines, Indian Airlines, BAL Air, Balkan Airlines, City Bird, Air Europe, Air tours, Sky Cabs, Air 2000, Euro Fly, Singapore Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Condor, LTU International Airways, Emirates, Expo aviation, CORSE Air International, LAUDA Air Italy, LAUDA Air Vienna, THAI Airways International, Swiss Air, South Africa Airways, Oriental Express, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Pakistan International Airlines
Maldivian Air Taxi, Trans Maldivian Airways, Maldivian, FlyMe
- Fith’r Eid Day
- Hajj Day
- Al’haa Eid Day
- Islamic New Year
- Prophet Muhammed’s Birthd Day
- Republic Day 11th November
- Beginning of Fasting Month (Ramadan)
- Fith’r Eid Day
Cargo workingSaturday to Thursday : 0730 hours to 2400 hours
Friday : 1430 hours to 2200 hours
Surveying is carried out by Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation only.
No seaman club.
Food wastes, Maintenance work wastes, and cargo-associated wastes can be disposed through Local Agent on Master’s request.
Officials and Visitors
Boarding officers from Customs, Immigration , Port Health with agent will board the vessel on arrival.
Facilities are not available.
Vessels required to discharge slop from tank cleaning and dirty oil bilge should request local agent to provide reception facility. Port Authority has no slop reception facilities. If any vessel discharge over board or incase any type of oil skill found in port, the officer in charge of the vessel should report Maldives Ports Authority and Coast Guard to take immediate action.
- Notice is hereby given that it is expressly forbidden for any vessel to dump or discharge into any harbour, lagoon, or into any part of the waters of the Republic of Maldives, refuse, bunker oil, sewage, noxious substances or any materials or substances whatsoever.
- The Master of any vessel and / or its agents will be held directly responsible for any nature or degree of pollution of the water, lagoons and Islands of the Republic of Maldives through the dumping or discharge of any refuse and / or substances.
- In the event of any nature or degree of pollution of Territorial Water of the Republic of Maldives due to the dumping or discharge of refuse and / or substances, the master and / or the Agent of the offending vessel shall be subject to an immediate fine deemed by the Authority concerned according to Maldivian Law.